Wednesday 20 June
Room V, Palais des Nations. Geneva
You are invited to the launch of PI and CEJIL publication "The time is Now: Effective public policies to protect the right to defend human rights". This is the first in-depth comparative study of protection mechanisms for human rights defenders in the Americas. This will be followed by a discussion focusing on:
- Progress, setbacks and challenges in the creation of public policies for the protection of human rights defenders;
- Global developments regarding laws for the recognition and protection of human rights defenders; and
- Recommendations for State authorities to guarantee and protect the right to defend human rights.
Panelists will include:
- Joel Hernandez - Inter-American Commission on Human Rights
- Mauricio Angel - Protection International
- Alejandra Vicente - Centre for Justice and International Law
- Tess McEvoy - International Service for Human Rights
- Triffi Bassam, Tunisian League of Human Rights
- Luisa Rios, Peruvian Society for Environmental Law
Attendance only with UN accreditation.