Countries and sub-regions
ISHR identifies priority countries or sub-regions according to criteria including:
- whether assistance or support is requested from national or regional-level human rights defenders, or the need for support is identified through national or regional consultations or research
- the potential for systemic and sustainable human rights impact in the country or sub-region through engagement with international or regional mechanisms
- whether ISHR can add distinctive value
- the availability of human and financial resources.
Mechanisms and bodies
- We support and accompany human rights defenders to ensure their engagement with international and regional mechanisms and bodies is effective and influential.
- We build and strengthen partnerships with and solidarity between human rights defenders using the spaces and opportunities associated with international and regional mechanisms and bodies.
- We inform the agendas and outputs of international and regional mechanisms and bodies so as to strengthen the recognition and protection of human rights defenders, promote accountability for violations or abuses against them, and ensure they are responsive to human rights defenders’ calls.
- We strengthen and safeguard the safety, accessibility, credibility, effectiveness and influence of international and regional mechanisms and bodies.
ISHR’s engagement with international and regional mechanisms and bodies is always informed by defenders on the grounds and frequently in coalition with key regional and international partners and networks, such as HRCnet.