ISHR is governed by a Board of Directors which is responsible for the overall strategy and governance of the organisation.
Our mission is to support human rights defenders, strengthen human rights systems, as well as lead and participate in coalitions for human rights change. We believe that no matter who we are or where we come from, no matter the differences between cultures, as human beings, we all share the same humanity. We all wish to live in peace, be respected, be surrounded by our loved ones in a safe and fair environment, and with opportunities to lead our lives in dignity.
We carry out our mission by:
- strengthening human rights defenders’ capacity,
- strengthening human rights laws and systems at the national and international level,
- promoting accountability for grave violations of human rights by States or non-State actors,
- securing implementation of effective human rights mechanisms at the national level,
- building powerful partnerships for change.
Our reach is global thanks to our network of human rights defenders, the diverse human rights fields we contribute to and our privileged connections with the United Nations and other important stakeholders.
Note: The International Service for Human Rights (acronym: ISHR / website: ishr.ch) is not affiliated with other organisations using the same acronym, whether they are active in the field of human rights or in other unrelated fields.