The event intends to give candidates an opportunity to present their visions for Council membership and to respond to questions from a range of stakeholders on how they propose to realise the pledges and commitments they may have made in seeking election.
State representatives, civil society, national human rights institutions (NHRIs) and other key stakeholders are invited to participate actively in the event and pose questions to candidate States.
This year 18 countries are running for 14 seats:
- African States: Algeria, Morocco, South Africa and Sudan (4 candidates for 4 seats: closed slate)
- Asia and the Pacific States: Afghanistan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Kyrgyzstan, Maldives, Republic of Korea, Vietnam (7 candidates for 4 seats)
- Latin America and Caribbean States: Chile, Costa Rica and Venezuela (3 candidates for 2 seats)
- Western Europe and other States: Belgium and Germany (2 candidates for 2 seats: closed slate)
- Central and Eastern Europe States: Georgia and Romania (2 candidates for 2 seats: closed slate)
The following candidate States have confirmed their participation in the event so far: Belgium, Chile, Costa Rica, Germany, Georgia, Republic of Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Maldives, Romania, South Africa.
Have a question? Follow the event and submit questions to candidates via Twitter: @ISHRglobal #HRCelections2022
This event is kindly sponsored by the permanent missions of Argentina and Luxembourg.